Monday, July 25, 2011

The One Who Got Away

As I was digging through the depths of my closet at my parents house last weekend, I stumbled upon the ancient three ring binder covered in "Be Smart Don't Start" and "GO Wally!" stickers, that houses the relics of my teenage life. 

  • What's inside?  My first batch of creative writing stories
  • What did I learn? I’ve been writing about being single  since I was 15

Even in my formative years I wasn’t letting myself fall in love. It all started in 1989 with this romantic, fictional tale….


All That Glitters Is Not Gold

The night was moist with the moon shining brightly in the middle of a star speckled sky. Their eyes met, and suddenly the whole world was standing still. The waves that once crashed against the shores stopped; the faint laughter from the people on the beach faded away. Nothing but love filled the air. As they remained speechless in each other’s presence, she noticed a sparkle in his optimistic eyes. She noticed nothing except the breeze that was blowing his thin, wavy hair in different directions. His eyes were a crystal blue, like the sea reflecting in the afternoon sun. Eyes that tell a thousand words in one, quick glance. And that’s all it was. One quick glance between them, and she knew that she had just fallen in love.
He decided to give her a friendly smile as he passed by. She felt that he loved her. His smile was so gentle, so alive. Yes, he was a strong man on the outside, but when he smiled, he had an inner glow. He was like a diamond. Something precious she could hold firmly in her hand and dare never to let go.
This was the man for her, the man who would promise her the world. He would love her till the end of time. But she had to say something, something that would stop him dead in his tracks and make him fall madly in love with her. And she knew just the thing. Then suddenly she heard another voice and the silence was broken. She could hear the waves crashing against the shore and the faint laughter of the strangers on the beach. Reality finally came back to her, and she could hear a female voice coming from behind her saying, “Honey, ready to go?”
Then she quickly looked at him while he replied, “Yes! I’m coming!” He passed her with a quick brush against her arm. She turned around to watch him walk away, only to see him holding the woman’s hand.
And no, he didn’t look back.


I’ve been glorifying my arduously loveless life for more than 2 decades which, I think, is the main reason why I’m 37 and still single. I have fallen victim to my own self-fulfilling prophesy! See, here’s another short form narrative…

EXIT
Glances from every eager eye fell on her as she walked in

She was beautiful

All she wanted and waited for was to fall hopelessly in love

He couldn’t stop the racing heart inside of his pounding chest

The trembling hands of time ticked on as she walked across the room

His heart told him to follow, but his courage held him back

The lonely exit sign hung above the door

She was gone

I’ve always had this romantic idea of being “the one who got away”, which is so odd, dysfunctional, terribly unrealistic and self-glamorizing. Why on earth did I never write about REQUITED love? And here I am, 22 years after becoming this whimsically forlorn author who romanticizes her solitude, writing a blog titled "Yes, I Am Still Single" like it's a shock!

I'm going to be honest, maybe the reason why I'm still coming home every night to an empty bed is because, in some weird way, I enjoy the torture.



7 comments:

  1. wow.....that's TEN yrs of therapy done in ONE weekend in your mom's closet....that IS very telling that you would be "the one who got away"...although we all have those narcissistic fantasies like that growing up so don't punish yourself for that one! But that first story of the perfect man already being taken...so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elissa - Yep it's a sad story, but I thought I was so cool when I wrote that last line, "And NO.... He didn't look back"... so cinematic! Or I thought! ha! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Combine your stories and you've got the one who got away longing for the one who got away.
    It's the best of both world.
    Why people write stories about unrequited love is that you never have to show it your faults. It is all romance, mystery, and what if's.
    Requited love on the other hand,is morning breath, toilet seats up at 2:00 AM and holey underwear on the floor(and for those who remember "The Goodbye Girl", the "panties drying on the rod!").
    "Eyes that tell a thousand words" end up needing trifocals in the mundane world of the requited.
    But, some can make beauty out of the long slog of a life together. Finding perfection in the imperfection when two people are trying and compromising through this brief moment in time.
    They, can capture the instants, like when you walk into the bathroom and your partner is standing there, in pink fuzzy slippers, no make up and holding that sizzling curling iron and you get that pang in your heart that you got the first time you saw them.

    Do you know what love is?
    Love is when you willingly
    Place someone else’s priorities
    Above your own

    ______

    I steal a kiss from you in the supermarket
    I walk you down the aisle, you fill my basket
    And through it all, the stick I take Is worth it for the love we make

    I used to want to plant bombs at the Last Night of the Proms
    But now you'll find me with the baby, in the bathroom,
    With that big shell, listening for the sound of the sea,
    The baby and me

    The Bard of Barking

    Keep up the good work and I wait to find out all the other things you are besides single.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Lee!!! Fantastic stuff there! Yes I do plan on writing more stuff about myself that doens't have anything to do with being single.. :) stay tuned and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that perfect guy in your story is probably divorced now

    ReplyDelete
  6. The anti-marriage movement has its origins back like 8 years ago so you my friend are a pioneer and a revolutionary leader. Standouts like yourself have your place in history along side with people such as Ida Barnett, Susan B Anthony, Jane Adams, and Britney Spears.
    What better time than now, what better place than here to perpetuate a voice that calls to urgency and more importantly, calls to redefine a subjective impairment in society.
    Write on, rock out, enjoy life, and live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angel Barrios you are my hero and a world class rock star!!! Well written comment!

    ReplyDelete