Monday, July 18, 2011

Did I Not Get the Memo?


Where did you all meet your current spouses?  

Have I been doing something wrong here?

  •  I’ve been to bars
  •  I’ve been to parties
  • I’ve gone on vacations
  • I went to college
  • I’ve lived on both coasts
  • I’ve been set up by almost everyone I know
  • I’ve gone to shit tons of weddings
  •  I’ve dated my friends
  •  I’ve dated a few co-workers
  • I’ve dated my brother’s friends
  • I’ve dated classmates from my childhood
  • I’ve tried Match.com
  •  PlentyOfFish.com
  • LavaLife
  • Cemistry
  • OkCupid
  • Right now I’m on Eharmony

    Hell, I even started airing my entire soul on a blog about being single, and still no dice.

    I am the last remaining single (and childless) person in my group of friends. 
    It’s really cute that almost all of my college friends married each other and have had adorable children... see..




    ...but it has become a bit daunting to show up to their parties knowing full well that at some point my cursed life of solitude will be the topic of conversation.  My guy friends, who are so handsome and unfortunately taken by all my beautiful girl friends, marvel and shake their heads as they either try to come up with some kind of explanation for this phenomenon or wrack their brain for someone they can set me up with.

    • Finney, I don’t get it! You’re so beautiful! If I were single, I’d be all over you.
    • What are you doing wrong?
    • Have you tried the on-line thing?
    • Don’t worry, I KNOW there is someone out there for you, just keep being yourself and he’ll show up.
    • What is wrong with you?
    • Why do you always go for the bad boys? Finney, you’re attracted to the wrong type!
    • I cannot believe no one has snatched you up yet! It should be illegal for someone like you to still be single.
    • You are going to make someone very very lucky.
    • Don’t you WANT to settle down?

    As my brother and I were backing out of my parents driveway to do some holiday shopping back in 2002, he very casually twisted around to see behind him, putting his arm behind my passenger seat, looking out the back window then looking in the rear view mirror, obviously avoiding my eyeballs, and nonchalantly said, "Sooooo, anyyyy...boyfriends lately?.....or.....you know.... girlfriends - it's TOTALLY cool man.. whatever...."
     
    Instead of blogging about my misery, I thought I’d benefit if I just asked you, the readers, how you met your significant others.

    Maybe there’s a corner of the world I haven’t pursued yet. Or is there a secret trick I don’t know about?

    I’ve always been told that love comes when you least expect it but I don’t think I’ll ever NOT expect (or beg God profusely) to meet that great guy when my foot hits the welcome mat, even if it’s to get my damn mail.

    My sister-in-law told me that she had finally become comfortable with spending her life alone and then 3 months later she met my brother.

    Well, I’ve already done that.

    I’ve already found the liberation of being alone forever. Unfortunately I find myself in a neurotic circle of misery because, once again, I’m back to being lonely and afraid.  So please don’t tell me to stop hoping for love.

    Perhaps I’m trying too hard? All those on-line dating sites and giving almost every guy a chance even if I’m not attracted to him… maybe that’s not working?  I  have even gone in the opposite direction and have turned dates down. That didn’t help my love life either.

    Yes, I have had boyfriends and I do go out on dates. That’s not the problem.  I just haven’t found “him” yet and I’m starting to wonder if it’s "me"!

    So please, do me a favor and give me the golden ticket. 

     I want an everlasting gobstopper!

     What’s the secret?

    12 comments:

    1. Not saying this deserves to be inside a bar of chocolate, but my brother met his wife off eHarmony. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Ann - Laura pointed out that more than half the couples at her baby party the other weekend had met on-line...

      ReplyDelete
    3. The high school I teach at has 5 married couples on campus and most of us met there. Recently, one of the newer teachers (who happens to be a former student, single, and definitely looking for Mr. Right) brought up the fact that since she started teaching there, there haven't been any more teacher matches. At our staff breakfast this year she said "I don't know what was in the water when I was a student here that is no longer in the water now that I teach here, but if you could bring it back I would appreciate it."

      ReplyDelete
    4. I think you should do a female version of Company :)

      ReplyDelete
    5. Courtney!! I actually deleted my comment about feeling like Bobby from Company.. damn I should have left it in! :)Thanks for reading!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Tree - I wish I was the WIlly Wonka of relationships, cuz I would not only give you a golden ticket, but I would leave you the whole factory, baby!! :o) I love you so much, you luminous, gorgeous creature, you!

      ReplyDelete
    7. HA HA HA HA........you're hysterical!!! come on....where's the screenplay baby???

      ReplyDelete
    8. That picture is toooooo much!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Bars bars bars. Do it all. Dating online takes awhile, so don't rule that out. You're the bomb, lady!

      ReplyDelete