Monday, July 11, 2011

On This Side of the Fence




After last week’s blog, people may think that I’m a bit bitter because I’m not married and don't have the kids, the house and the kick ass baby stroller. They may be right.  There’s a sense of stability associated to all of that, I guess.

For years, my Dad kept asking me, “Any new boyfriends?”, “Gone on any dates lately?”

Finally I said to him, “Why do you keep asking me that? Why are you only interested in my love life?”

Dad: “I want you to settle down and have some security. I’m worried about you”.

Me: “Shouldn’t you be proud to have an independent, 33 year old daughter who can live on her own in New York City and not need a man for security?”

Dad: "..."

Success! The interrogations finally ended.

His concerns were less offensive than they were depressing.

I’m still at sea, but there is a lot to be thankful for. Yeah, I know it’s probably just wonderful to be married to the love of your life and have mini versions of yourself running around, but the grass is green on my side of the fence too.

Actually, it looks like Ireland over here!

  • Having a house may be nice, but I don't have a screwed up mortgage that may surprise me in 5 years and send me packing, nor do I have to worry about household expenses for I am a renter.
  • I'm free to live my life the way I want, without worrying about other people. All of my time and energy can be spent on writing, being in a play, or making silly videos with my friend Mark and I'm not going to be that neglectful  mother or wife.
  • My money is my money and guilt free shopping sprees are my pass time.
  • I can still live the Peter Pan life and be spontaneous.
  • Silent sleep. How anyone can live with a crying child or a snoring husband is a mystery to me and I pray with fervor that when Aphrodite releases this love curse she has on me, that I will not be stuck with an apen'ic husband.
  • No compromises: I'll be going to my parent's house to enjoy the fruit cake and the sliced ham.
  • No lover's spats
  • I can come home from work, put on my pajamas, sit my ass on the couch, eat toaster waffles, drink my Newcastle, and watch Glee all night if I wanna! SO THERE!


 (Not catching that! I  avoided the frenzy, behind the overzealous girl with her arms in the air.)

5 comments:

  1. Love your vid! What a cute giraffe--I'm in love too.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Mark and I are already brainstorming on another video... stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa your so talented!!! Omgosh, I think I know the girl that caught the bouquet?! Small world

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa. I love that you poke fun at all this. It's the only way. Love the vid. ~Misty

    ReplyDelete