Monday, August 8, 2011

Sex and the Eharmony

It’s been one month since joining Eharmony and I’ve weeded through about 600 guys.
Cute guys like this do not exist on Eharmony.

I’m becoming more and more weirded-out by on-line dating and I am curious about some things.

   1. Why do guys not realize that blacking out their friends eyes in their profile photos is just plain creepy?

   2. If you’re not going to look a little deeper and answer the profile questions with some intelligence, why are you paying $50 a month to be on the site?

Example
Question: What are a few things that you cannot survive without?
Answer: Air Water Shelter
Really? Wow guy! We have so much in common. I cannot live without air and water either! Let’s meet for coffee and discuss!

   3. Am I prude to be disinterested in anyone who mentions sex on their profile?

Even mentioning it once is bad enough, but multiple times just horrifies me.
I understand that some guys may have been in sexless marriages and they now think that most women aren’t into it, but when he says that he must be with a partner who likes having sex on a weekly basis, and that he must be with someone who is comfortable exploring his sexuality with compassion and understanding, that just grosses me out.

What exactly do I need to be compassionate and understanding about? I’m picturing him on a sex swing wearing some kind of mask. He’s probably a skirt chaser who can’t take his hand off my ass when we are in public.

All sorts of crude images of us doing weird things pop into my head and I quickly “close” him.

Example
Question: What are a few things that you cannot survive without?
Answer: Great Sex
Delete

In my opinion, mentioning sex on your profile is like talking about your sexuality with a complete stranger in person.

Would a guy really walk up to me at a party and within the first 2 minutes tell me that he must be with a partner who likes having “Great Sex”?  Well, maybe. Recently I met a guy at a bar in New York who told me, after hello, that he has 4 gray pubic hairs.  So, yes, there are guys out there who have no filter, but in any case: Delete.

Am I being too selective?

Perhaps I need to realize that most men are sexually conscious and that maybe I’m reading too far into their innocent comments about needing sex?

I really don’t see the point in choosing “I cannot live with a sexually inactive partner” as a line item on my Can’t Stands list. Eharmony only lets you pick a few Must Haves and Can't Stands, and they give you about 100 items to choose from. I just safely assume that most people do want sex and if I were to fall in love, we would be up all night with our hands all over each other.

In my heart, there are far more important deal breakers than sex, especially since I only get to choose a few from the website's list. So when a guy chooses more than one item referring to sex, I think “Wow, so out of that plethora of core life values and morals to choose from, what you’re telling me is that you are a horn dog.” Is that a safe assumption?

No comments:

Post a Comment