Monday, August 22, 2011

Please Release the Curse


I have said I love you to six people in my lifetime, but I’ve only really been in love once. I’m not proud of that.

I feel that I have taken the word Love in vain too many times and perhaps I jinxed myself in ever truly falling in love again. Since I’m still single, I hypothesize that Aphrodite has cursed me, in punishment of taking the word Love so lightly.

Dear Goddess of Love,

Please release the curse.

I humbly kneel before you, pleading for this spell to vanish. I admit my shortcomings. I fall in love to easily. I am easily wooed. At times I have been a push over and have said those precious words to the wrong people. To the people I did not truly have those feelings for but was hopeful that I eventually would. Or I was afraid to hurt them if I didn’t say it back. Or maybe I was just plain dumb and went along with it. I never thought I’d be the kind of person who took “Love” so carelessly, but I am, Aphrodite, I am... I WAS. I am not that girl anymore and I cross my heart that my past mistakes will never be repeated.

  • Brad: I was 16 years old and he was just playin’ me. I think it was more infatuation and less love, so honestly I don’t think, Aphrodite, that you should be punishing me for this one.  
  • Brain: I said “I love you” too soon in our relationship, and I’m sorry for that. But he never loved me anyways. He told me so when he dumped my ass, don’t you remember? “I never loved you anyways, Theresa. I only said it because you said it to me.” He did a nice job in making me feel worthless, but nevertheless, he had a knack for that. I was an aspiring Broadway actress in New York City, which he didn’t like, and he told me “I hope your dreams quietly die”. Why on earth did I say I loved him?
  • Dominick: he was psycho and that’s my fault for getting involved with someone so cookoo. Who says “I love you” on the first date? Psychos do. There is no reason why I shouldn’t be punished and cursed for this mistake.
  • Brahim: When will I learn that I need to get past the puppy love stage first before tossing around the word “Love”? He, like Dominick, was crazy enough to say he loved me within the first week we were dating, and I was nuts enough to go along with it. He was mysterious and exotic at first, but come on, those warning signs of him being jealous, stubborn, rude and filled with rage were there from the start. I just ignored them because he was hot.
  • Mike: saying “I love you” while not really meaning it, and saying it too soon can lead to disaster and this case proves my point. Once again, this guy, like Dominick and Brahim, pounced on me with those forbidden words the day after we first kissed. I’m not shocked that I’ve been cursed, Aphrodite, because after all, this was the worst kind of love I’ve ever lied about being in. I ignored all the red flags, I jumped into a relationship, I was blind to all of his baggage. Heck I even LIVED with this one. What on earth was I thinking? Yes he was initially my friend, he was romantic and deep, but he also never took me seriously, he was a loser with no money, no steady job, no bank account, no driver’s license, and he was a raging alcoholic who eventually got me robbed. By the time I dumped him, he owed me EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS. I relinquish you of your obligation to punish me for this doozie because I have punished myself enough already.
Aph, I’m not saying that I do not deserve a little punishment. But let’s not forget the one beautiful guy I was truly in love with and whom I didn’t take the word Love in vain with.

  • Mark: My first love. Romantic, affectionate, giving, artist who I loved so very much.  I was only 19, and our love may have been immature and carefree, but that was a beautiful time in my life and I will always cherish those memories.
So, Ahpy, please lift this curse and let me find that special person that I know is out there looking for me. If you do me this favor, I promise I will never say I Love You ever again to any guy, ever…unless I’m saying it to the man I know I will marry.

Your humble servant,

Theresa

 P.S. Thank you for letting me have some affection!

3 comments:

  1. I think love is infinite. You don't deplete your love integrity quotient by saying it too often. And I told my girlfriend I loved her about 2 hours after I met her. A year and a half later we're still together. Sometimes you just know.
    http://thenextbiggig.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. David - thank you for your comment! would you mind running your thoughts by Aphrodite? she could use some encouragement :)
    I love your profile photo by the way. Very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shine and Glimmer, Single. Love that little vignette.

    Love is a magical thing and so many of us see it so quickly as a sacred lamb only to see it for its true colors as a wolf in sheep's clothing. Bahhhhhh.

    That being said, Feeling love, not being afraid to seize love and most of all, opening ourselves to the wonderfully unpredictable way love saunters into our hearts is crucial. We need to just Let it happen. You know why? Because it will...Happen. ANB

    ReplyDelete